Learn about the regulations and how to find an authorized person.

Onsite sewerage systems

Any home or building that is not connected to a community sewer system needs a method for getting rid of domestic sewage. Domestic sewage includes human excreta and waterborne waste from the preparation and consumption of food and drinking, dishwashing, bathing, showering and general household cleaning and laundry.

Regulatory requirements for onsite sewerage  systems

If a house or building has indoor plumbing and is not connected to a community sewer system, it must be connected to an onsite sewage disposal system that is in compliance with the Sewerage System Regulation.

According to the Sewerage System Regulation only an Authorized Person can design, install, repair, maintain and/or inspect a sewerage system. An Authorized Person is a Professional Engineer or a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP).

To find Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner contact the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of British Columbia at 604-585-2788 or visit their website.

For a Professional Engineer contact the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists.

We have resources, answers to frequently asked questions and important information for property owners.