Register a complaint if you have concerns about an onsite sewerage system.

Onsite Sewage Systems

Any home or building plumbed with running water that is not connected to a public sewer needs a safe method of treating and discharging domestic sewage to ensure that it does not create a health hazard.

What is a Health Hazard

The Sewerage System Regulation (SSR) defines a health hazard as the discharge of domestic sewage or effluent into a source of drinking water, surface water or tidal waters. The discharge of domestic sewage onto the surface of the land is also a prescribed health hazard.

Role of the Health Authority

The Health Authority receives and responds to complaints about health hazards, makes a determination of health hazards and ensures corrective action is taken by responsible parties to alleviate health hazards.

Role of an Authorized Person

An authorized person (AP) is either a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) or a professional engineer. According to the SSR only an AP can inspect, design, install, repair and maintain a sewerage system.


If you have a health or safety concern about an onsite sewerage system complete and submit the drinking water and sewage disposal complaint form.

For complaints regarding the professional practice of an AP contact the APs professional association. For a ROWP, contact the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC). For a professional engineer contact the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC).