Assisted living

Provides housing, hospitality services and personal care services for adults who can live independently.

Assisted living is personal care and hospitality services for adults who can live independently. Residents live in apartment units furnished with their own furniture and belongings. They maintain a great deal of independence and privacy, while being supported with services.

  • What services are provided in assisted living residences?

    • Personal care (bathing, grooming, medication management)
    • Meals
    • Laundry service for linens and towels
    • Housekeeping
    • Social and recreational activities

    Services not provided:

    • Breakfast (some sites provide continental breakfast at no additional charge)
    • PharmaCare premiums, deductibles, and any medications not covered under Fair PharmaCare
    • Tenant or household insurance
    • Hydro surcharge
    • Hairdressing
    • Dry cleaning
    • Personal items such as toiletries, incontinence supplies
    • Telephone service
    • Cable services
    • Internet service
    • Personal laundry
  • What is the difference between publicly subsidized and private pay assisted living residences?

    We provide publicly subsidized assisted living services for those who are no longer able to live independently at home but do not require 24-hour nursing care. Eligibility is determined by an assessment from a home health case manager.

    Private-pay residences are operated by private organizations and charge market rate for accommodation and services. Fraser Health does not fund or subsidize these services. Funding from the Fraser Health assisted living program is not transferable to private pay assisted living communities.  For more information on private-pay residences, visit the Care Guide.

  • Who is eligible?

    You may be eligible if you:

    • Are currently a Home Health client but are finding that these services are no longer meeting your care needs
    • Meet the general eligibility requirements for Home Health services
    • Are living at risk in your current home
    • Are able to communicate and be understood by others
    • Do not behave in ways that put the safety of others at risk
    • Are able to take direction in an emergency
    • Are able to use an emergency response system

    If couples wish to move into an assisted living residence, only one member needs to meet the eligibility requirements for both to move in together.

    Assisted living is not an option for those who:

    • Can't make their own decisions about day-to-day activities (unless they are living with a spouse who can make decisions on their behalf)
    • Have care needs exceeding what can be provided in an assisted living building
  • How can I access this service?

    Contact the Home Health Service Line at 1-855-412-2121 (7 days a week, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) to request an assessment.

    • A community case manager will come to your home and complete an assessment to determine your care needs
    • The case manager will work with you to develop a plan of care to support you to continue to live in your own home. This may include arranging for someone to assist you with personal care activities (toileting, bathing) and/or help with managing food preparation/consumption
    • Your success with that level of support will be assessed in two to three months. If it is determined that you require hospitality services such as meals, housekeeping, recreation programs and socialization to continue to live independently, assisted living may be the right place for you

    If you are a current Home Health client, speak with your case manager.

    Please do not contact the assisted living providers directly.

  • What will a case manager need to know?

    The case manager will assess your current living situation in light of medical conditions, ability to make decisions, level of mobility and ability to carry out the activities of daily living, current medications, and level of family/caregiver support. Because the funded services in the health authority are based on your income, you will be required to provide your income tax assessment.

  • How much does it cost?

    • Residents pay 70 per cent of their after-tax income (up to a maximum rate) which covers rent, hospitality services and personal care.
    • Couples pay 70 per cent of their combined after-tax income.
    • Residents receiving provincial disability benefits pay a pre-determined, set rate.
  • How is total income calculated?

    Under BC Housing's Independent Living British Columbia (ILBC) program, assets are not factored into the calculations unless they produce income reported on your tax return. Individuals receiving pensions through the Ministry of Housing and Social Development (MHSD) pay a pre-determined rate.

    More detailed information is available once you have been deemed eligible and accepted into care by a case manager.

  • Can I transfer from a private pay facility to a publicly funded one? Or can I transfer from assisted living to long term care?

    If you are currently a Home Health client, contact your case manager.

    If you are not a current Home Health client, you must first meet eligibility requirements for Home Health services. Call the Home Health Service Line at 1-855-412-2121 (7 days a week, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) to be assessed for eligibility.

  • How do I address concerns or complaints?

    If you have concerns about the care in a private assisted living facility, call the Assisted Living Registry

    If you have concerns about the care in publicly subsidized assisted living facility, please contact your case manager and/or the Patient Care Quality Office. 

    If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction after contacting these resources, you may also call the Assisted Living Registry with your concern.

    Assisted Living Registry
    Phone: 778-974-4887
    Toll-free: 1-866-714-3378

  • Keeping families together

    Spouses and family members offer invaluable emotional support and normalcy for their loved one as they experience numerous changes that come with aging. While most seniors are able to remain living in their own homes with supports as they age, some of them must move from their family home into long term care or assisted living when their care needs can no longer be managed in their home setting. When this happens, adjusting to the change is difficult for someone with frail health and this is further aggravated by the loneliness they experience when separated from the spouse and/or other family they lived with. This is why Fraser Health provides individuals with the ability to choose the geographical cluster they most wish to live in; and when both members of a couple need long term care or assisted living, we seek to reunite them on the same campus (either long term care or assisted living) whenever possible.

    Making sure someone’s care needs are met in the right facility and they are placed in the community of their choice is a complex process. It becomes even more complex when pairing the needs of two individuals, especially if they need different levels of care (i.e. one needs long term care and one is far more independent requiring only assisted living). With these complexities, sometimes reunification cannot happen as quickly as people would like.

    Some of the things we look at when reuniting a couple, include:

    • Care needs: Couples often don’t need the same level of care at the same time.  For instance, one person might need to be placed in an assisted living environment, and their spouse may need a higher level care and need to be in long term care.  Finding a campus of care that can accommodate both their needs in the geographic community of their choice can be a challenge. NOTE: at present 15 funded assisted living facilities in Fraser Health are on the same campus as one of the 80 long term care sites.
    • Geographic location:  A family’s preference for a particular community or residence may limit options for placement, as we wait for a bed to become available. Expanding the area a couple is willing to live can reduce how long they may wait.
    • Urgency: Sudden changes in health can lead to an unexpected need for long term care. Not having care can leave a person vulnerable to risks. Once our care team has assessed the individual, we work with families to access resources that meet their needs across the region. While urgent placement is being arranged, an increased level of care can be provided to support the family in their home. If the placement must occur rapidly, an individual may be placed anywhere in the region where there is availability and then transferred to their desired location later.
    • Vacancy: Wait times are hard to predict with accuracy as they depend on when a bed becomes available. Fraser Health is committed to keeping couples together and will work closely with families to ensure that it happens as quickly and safely as it is possible given the many competing needs across the system of care.

Assisted living residences

Find a publicly subsidized assisted living residence in your community.