Local practice setting orientation and student placement reference guide.
Local practice setting orientation for instructors
Each practice setting has specific orientation requirements for their areas that are included in the HSPnet destination profile. Educators supporting the student placement should review practice setting specific requirements with students prior to start date.
In-person orientation is available for faculty and instructors. Visit our faculty and instructors page for details.
Print and bring the local practice area orientation checklist to guide you through your first day. Make arrangement for orientation at your practice setting prior to start date.
Dress code varies by practice setting and profession. Please refer to the professional image policy and local practice setting guidelines.
Student placement reference guide for faculty and instructors at post-secondary institutions
Faculty and instructors are employees of educational institutions who instruct and supervise students during the practice education experience.
All placements must be coordinated by the educational institution placing coordinator. Please direct all inquiries to the student practice team at email@example.com. Do not contact the practice setting or a Fraser Health employee directly.
Practice Education Guidelines for B.C. are used to guide the roles and responsibilities of faculty, instructors, students and the health organization employees during the practice education experience. It is your responsibility to be familiar these guidelines (e.g., placement process, practice issues, negative behaviours in the workplace, etc.).
Prior to placement
Complete the required orientation for both faculty and students prior to placement.
Your post secondary institution should be providing you with onsite orientation from the previous instructor, see Practice Education Guideline: Onsite Orientation for PSI Educators. If this is not possible, schedule your local practice setting orientation listed in the HSPnet destination profile through the destination coordinator. Bring local practice area orientation checklist.
- Activate your Windows user account and email. Please do this prior to arriving so you can access necessary guidelines. Make sure you store your user account information for subsequent placements as you will not receive a new Windows user account.
- Check your Fraser Health email regularly for updates and news related to your placement.
During your placement
- Facilitate destination practice area orientation for students as per the Practice Education Guideline: Orientation - Students.
- Make sure you have your school faculty photo I.D. visible at all times.
- Dress code varies by practice setting and profession. Please refer to the professional image policy and local practice setting guidelines.
- If you require a room for debriefing, contact the destination coordinator at the location.